Since 1975, men, women, teens, and children across the United States and around the world have studied the Bible in Community Bible Study Classes. Thousands of lives have been transformed by using the tried and proven five-step CBS method of Bible study. These five steps include:
- individual study through stimulating home study questions,
- encouraging discussion in a safe, small group setting,
- effective teaching from trained teachers,
- insightful commentary to help better understand the passage, and
- caring community that encourages spiritual growth in a loving, supportive community.
CBS curriculum is designed to support this method. Each lesson includes a series of home study questions that are designed to help you engage with God’s Word in a meaningful way. These questions may include observational questions that help you explore the facts of the passage, interpretational questions that invite you to think about what the passage means, and application questions, which encourage you to apply what you’re learning to your life.
In addition to the home study questions, each lesson includes a commentary, written by a theologian whose goal is to help you understand the context of what you’ll study as it relates to the rest of Scripture, God’s character, and what the passage means for your life. CBS concentrates on the essentials of the Christian faith, not on denominational distinctives.
CBS curricula are available in many forms, tailored to the age and needs of the student. Translated in dozens of languages, the curriculum serves CBS classes on six continents (at this time, we do not have a CBS class in Antarctica!)
You may examine samples of some of the CBS courses below. Unless otherwise noted, these are the versions of courses utilized in the United States.
- Adult Standard, our “standard” lesson for adult classes [regular lesson sample] [large print lesson sample]
- Global, used in the U.S., and translated globally [sample lesson, English]
- Junior – grades four to six [sample lesson]
- Primary – grades one to three [sample lesson]
- Young *Teacher Lesson – pre-readers [sample lesson]
- Preschool *Teacher Lesson [sample lesson]
- Baby *Teacher Lesson [sample lesson]
- Children’s Craft Activity [instructions]
*for younger children, the teacher lesson equips the Children’s Teacher to deliver the lesson. “Take Home” papers help the parents to reinforce the learning at home.
For free-standing Student CBS classes, these curricula are used
- “Box” format lessons (Teen and CAPstone classes) [sample lesson]
- eTeen lessons (early teens) [sample lesson]
- After School Kids (A.S.K.) lessons (elementary aged) [sample lesson]